The LA Sparks are looking to hire a Communications Manager/Director. Do you have the qualifications and experiences that they’re looking for (see below)? If so, visit this website to apply. Please note that I have no connection with the LA Sparks — I’m just merely passing this job posting along to the SPRB readers. Good luck!
The Los Angeles Sparks, entering our 15th WNBA season, are seeking a dynamic, experienced communications individual to oversee the team’s media and public relations and communications efforts.
Job Function: Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute strategies for year round positive media coverage for team, management, and overall business initiatives
- Facilitate and manage all media relations and communications needs of all Sparks personnel
- Manage preparation and oversight for Sparks press conferences including messaging, scripts for spokespersons, on-site logistics, and post-conference coverage
- Prepare all communications documents related to announcement and/or breaking news, including press releases, talking points, fan and partner communications
- Provide daily support for Sparks coaches and players including attending all team games and practices
- Manage game day PR including player and coach access, injury reports, media seating chart, media meals, credentials
- Manage media access to all team personnel
- Work closely with Community Relations Manager and support team and WNBA initiatives.
- Prepare spokespersons as needed on a wide range of issues; serve as organization spokesperson as designated
- Develop a crisis communications plan and manage execution of communications strategies in response to potential crises
- Work closely with broadcast partners to drive positive coverage and to increase exposure
- Maintain daily and weekly communication with WNBA communications department and support League media and community programs
- Develop and strengthen relationships with sports and non-sports reporters and editors
- Develop and manage execution of department business plan and operating budget
- Recruit, hire and supervise PR support staff which may include full-time staff, part-time staff, game night staff and interns
- Manage production of all Sparks publications including media guide, annual Yearbook and game day roster
- To provide website game information as well as work with Marketing and Community Relations Staff to provide other content as needed.
- Travel with team as required to away games including pre-season, regular season and playoffs
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 5+ years of public relations and/or communications experience
- NBA/WNBA/Collegiate experience preferred. Community Relations experience a plus.
- Solid record of developing and managing strategic communications strategies and garnering media coverage
- Proven relationship building skills; positive and outgoing personality
- Strong and diverse writing skills (AP writing style and feature writing)
- Experience managing staff
- Available to work evenings and weekends, occasionally on short notice
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the President. Full LA Sparks employee benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Yes/No – I have 5+ years of public relations and/or communications experience