Tim Anderson undoubtedly has fond reminiscences of the interval from 2019 to 2022.
The shortstop for the Chicago White Sox gained the American League batting crown with a .335 common within the first season of that four-year stretch, then tacked on three extra plus-.300 averages. He acquired votes for the Most Worthwhile Participant Award, made a pair of All-Star groups, and was acclaimed as among the best gamers in baseball.
However Anderson’s sizzling streak screeched to a sudden halt in 2023. He fell into a large 52-for-244 (.213) droop between mid-June and early September, plunging his yearend common to a mediocre .245.
And, simply as unhealthy, his energy disappeared. Anderson lofted 139 extra-base hits, together with 51 residence runs, throughout his 2019-2022 sizzling streak. However solely 21 of his hits went for additional bases in 2023, and simply a kind of was a homer.
The extent of Anderson’s downfall was dramatized by the sudden shift in his annual base values (BV). His outcomes for 2019-2022 added as much as a complete BV of plus-99, which implies he reached 99 extra bases than the everyday batter would have attained beneath the identical circumstances. (Click here to learn more about BV.)
However Anderson’s depressing 2023 efficiency almost wiped the slate clear. He posted a BV of minus-85. The typical big-league hitter would have reached 275 bases whereas making the identical variety of outs as Anderson did (391), however his complete was a measly 190 bases.
No different hitter did as badly in 2023, although a number of got here shut. Listed under are the yr’s 10 worst base values (truly, 11 worst with ties) amongst all batters in Main League Baseball.
A brand new installment will arrive in your e-mail upon posting
1. Tim Anderson, White Sox (BV minus-85) — The everyday big-league hitter completed 2023 with a ratio of .704 bases per out (BPO). Anderson was nearly 220 factors decrease at .486. What’s perplexing is that his 2019-2022 BPO was 89 factors increased than the major-league common.
2. Javier Baez, Tigers (BV minus-76) — Bear in mind all the thrill when the Tigers signed Baez to a $140 million free-agent contract? The excitement quieted down after Baez posted a weak BV of minus-29 in his first yr in Detroit, then tanked to minus-76 in his second season.
3. Eric Haase, Tigers-Guardians (BV minus-64) — The Tigers waived Haase in August, and he susequently performed three video games for Cleveland. The outcomes have been poor in each cities, as evidenced by his .201 common and complete of 4 residence runs in 89 video games.
4. (tie) Cam Gallagher, Guardians (BV minus-61) — Gallagher’s numbers must be seen to be believed. He batted .126 in 56 video games for Cleveland, reaching solely 30 bases whereas making 129 outs. That interprets to an almost invisible BPO of .233.
4. (tie) Jean Segura, Marlins (BV minus-61) — There was a time when Segura was a strong hitter. His batting common topped .300 thrice in his 12-year profession. However all the things got here undone after he signed with Miami as a free agent. Segura batted simply .219 in 85 video games.
6. Nick Allen, Athletics (BV minus-60) — Allen’s batting common truly ticked increased in his second yr with Oakland, although admittedly there was loads of room for enchancment. His BA pushed up from .207 in 2022 to .221. His BV, nevertheless, truly declined from minus-49 to minus-60.
7. Nick Fortes, Marlins (BV minus-57) — The batting arrow has pointed downward for Fortes all through his three years in Miami. He hit .290 in minimal motion in 2021, slipped to .230 in 72 video games final yr, then plummeted once more to .204 in 108 video games in 2023.
8. Joey Wendle, Marlins (BV minus-56) — Miami certified for the playoffs this yr regardless of a weak batting assault. How weak? Effectively, Wendle is the third Marlins participant submerged among the many backside eight for base worth. He batted .212 with an equally poor on-base proportion of .248.
9. Christian Vazquez, Twins (BV minus-55) — Vazquez batted .258 or higher in each season from 2019 to 2022, then regressed to .223 in 2023. He as soon as hit as many as 23 homers in a single yr for the Pink Sox (2019), however managed solely six for Minnesota.
10. (tie) Brett Baty, Mets (BV minus-54) — The Mets have excessive hopes for Baty as their third baseman of the longer term, however the early outcomes haven’t been promising. He batted solely .212 in his first full season, whereas putting out 109 occasions in simply 353 at-bats.
10. (tie) Myles Straw, Guardians (BV minus-54) — Straw is quick on the bases (71 stolen bases since 2021) and sure-handed within the area (a Gold Glover final yr). However he’s less than par on the plate. His BPO in 2023 was .561, which was 143 factors under the big-league norm.